In My Own Little Corner
Presented by RISER Edmonton 2023
In My Own Little Corner is presented by RISER Edmonton with Common Ground Arts Society. To learn more, click here.
You know that person? The one you just get, and who gets you? In this solo cabaret, Carly Neis explores the mess, beauty, grief, joy and care of an unexpected friendship stitched together by the love of music and a shared longing to be acknowledged as artists, creators, and "normal" humans. Join Carly as she takes you into her world, embracing the systems of her disabled life, and deconstructing the ways we hold each other, even when the world continues to underestimate you.
The team behind In My Own Little Corner prioritizes access for audiences and artists alike. Read on for more details about how we're working to make everyone's experience a little more accessible throughout this run.
Accessing the Theatre:
- This performance is taking place in a wheelchair accessible theatre. Wheelchair seating will be available at cabaret tables for every performance, we recommend including anything we can do to make your audience experience more comfortable in the "Special Requirements" section of the checkout page so we can ensure seating is available.
- The Backstage Theatre can be accessed through its main entrance facing Gateway Boulevard and the Strathcona stop of the High Level Streetcar. This entrance does have a small lip and can be difficult to access during snowy weather. Wheelchair access to the theatre will be available through the Westbury Theatre entrance to the Fringe Theatre Arts Barns, which is stepless and accessible via a snow-cleared sidewalk. Staff marked with signage will meet wheelchair users at this entrance to guide you to the Backstage Theatre.
Increased Accessibility Performances:
- ASL Interpretation will be available on Sunday, February 26 with interpreters Robyn Lavender and Andrea Konowalec.
- Performances on Sunday, February 26 and Tuesday, February 28 will featured softened sound and lighting.
During the Show:
- You're explicitly welcome to come and go, and move around as needed, at all performances.
- There will be a cooldown space in the theatre with fidget toys and other sensory equipment that you're welcome to visit if you need a break at any time during the performance.
For more information about the venue, our show, and accessibility, please stay tuned for our upcoming accessibility guide. In the meantime, if you have any questions about accessibility, please don't hesitate to reach out to the RISER Edmonton producing team at email@example.com
CAST & CREATIVE TEAM
Performer/Playwright/Producer - Carly Neis
Director - Sarah Culkin
Dramaturg - Kristi Hansen
Lighting Designer - Rory Turner
Sound Designer - Lindsey Walker
Set/Costume Designer - Even Gilchrist
RISER Edmonton Production Manager - Kat Evans
Arranger/Chart Writing - Dan Belland
Associate Producer - Lindy Mullen
Access Support - Ophira Callof
- $28.00 inc $3.00 fee
- February 22, 2023-March 1, 2023
- 90 minutes
- Fringe Theatre Arts Barns
- Backstage Theatre
- General (G)
Grief, ableism, terminal cancer, hospital setting.